19 November 2008

#1 Threat to America: PIRATES!!!!

Editor's note: In no way do I condone piracy or other forms of violence. That being said, arrrr!!! Shiver me timbers!! This post be about the skyrocketing number of pirate attacks happening recently. Avast, I'm totally serious.

I'd heard about a few earlier in the year, most recently the well-publicized hijacking of a Saudi oil ship, but it wasn't until today that I learned the full extent of the epidemic. The WSJ has a little graph showing the number of attacks Jan-Sept of this year vs last year, and the 2008 number is SEVEN TIMES greater than the 2007 one (31 vs. 199).


Ahoy, mateys! We must band together to fight the scourge o' these ne'er-do-well cads! Yo-ho!

Kudos to India for getting the ball rolling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My genocide politics teacher has been a marine for 20 years and was talking last night about dealing with the threat of pirates too! He served in Somalia for a few years. It's very difficult to take the threat of pirates seriously. Arghhhhh...

Anonymous said...

What does a pirate use to get around?

A cARRRRRRRRRR.

-LB.