31 March 2009

Au Revoir, Roquefort?

A long-standing trade dispute between the U.S. and the EU, if not resolved soon, will soon lead to higher tariffs on imported goods from Europe, according to the WSJ. The levies, as they often do, fall hardest on the most vulnerable and delicious of victims.

Perhaps no group is as worried as fans of Roquefort, the only item on which the duty rate is slated to rise to 300%. (The rest are bracketed to rise to 100%.)

Cowgirl Creamery of Point Reyes Station, Calif., has ordered 30 extra wheels of Roquefort, said co-founder Sue Conley. The company began carrying more domestic cheeses last year, when the euro gained strength against the dollar, and Ms. Conley has several domestic alternatives to Roquefort in mind.

I don't know if I even like Roquefort that much, and I guess switching to domestic products is sort of the whole idea of a tariff, but a 300% tax on cheese just seems unfair. What did cheese ever do to us (minor intestinal disruptions notwithstanding)? I personally am rushing out the door right now to stock up on my beloved English cheddar and Italian mozzarella, before the goatied foody hoardes beat me to it.

No comments: